About Kokum Butter
Why Use Kokum Butter in Clean Skincare Products?
Ocean House Apothecary has selected kokum butter as the star ingredient in our signature base for all of our clean skincare products. There are a number of other natural butter ingredients available like shea, mango, avocado, and cocoa (some of which we also use) that promote healthy, happy skin in kids and adults alike. However in our opinion, none compare to the many benefits of kokum butter.
- Kokum butter is a stable, vegetarian butter with a mild scent and rich, silky qualities – kids like that it doesn’t feel rough, sticky, or oily.
- It’s safe for sensitive skin and non–comodegenic – this means it doesn’t clog pores creating new skin issues.
- It also has antioxidant and antifungal properties – this is particularly helpful in protecting skin that is exposed to all sorts of bacteria at daycare or school on a daily basis.
Our favorite thing about kokum butter is that it is incredibly nourishing and protective.
- It’s a natural humectant – it attracts and retains moisture in the air by drawing water vapor to the surface of the skin. Kids’ skin is about 20% thinner than adults,’ and easily loses moisture, so this is important.
- Kokum butter is rich in vitamin E – it promotes cell regeneration and repair, as well as softening the skin. Kids’ more sensitive skin benefits from the high emollient quality of kokum butter.
Finally, we love kokum butter because it’s an eco-friendly, renewable resource. Kokum butter is derived from the fruit kernels of the Garnicia indica tree, a tropical plant that is native to the central east region of India.
- A sustainable natural resource – it grows well in just about any climate, requires little water, and grows large enough to provide lots of homes for animals.
- No “dirty stuff” required - the Garnicia indica tree does not require the use of pesticides, fertilizers, insecticides or herbicides to thrive.
Using products Kokum butter means that your kids’ skin is being nourished and protected without hurting the planet.
All of these wonderful qualities make kokum butter an ideal choice for use in clean facial, body, lip and even hair products. Once we learned about all the amazing benefits of kokum butter, we knew we had to include it in our products!
Check out our products to see all the fun ways we’ve found to use kokum butter to create simple, fun, and safe skincare products for kids.